Ayurveda is a traditional medical science practiced in India from centuries ago and it means “the knowledge of life”. There are various types of Ayurvedic treatments which aim to please and purify the mind and body. Panchakarma is one such Ayurvedic treatment, especially the most profound of all and is used to detoxify the human body. It is done to get the body rid of impurities. (Pancha-five and Karma-treatment). One of its types is the Shirodhara mode of treatment.
What is Shirodhara?
Shirodhara is one of the famous Panchakarma Ayurveda treatments. Shirodhara got its name from two Sanskrit words- Shiro and Dhara. Shiro means ‘head’ and Dhara means ‘flow’. This is a classical treatment of Ayurvedic therapy that involves gently pouring liquids over the forehead. This is a relaxing and rejuvenating therapy that is done to prepare the body for the actual Panchakarma treatment.
How is it done?
Shirodhara begins with a complete body massage called Abhyanga. After this process, the client lies down on his back and a wide mouthed vessel with a small hole at the bottom is hung above the head of the client such that there is only two inches gap between the vessel and the forehead. A thin steady stream of specially prepared warm herbal oil is poured from a spigot directly onto the forehead and sixth chakra. In lieu of the herbal oil, we could also use buttermilk, milk or special medicinal oil. The type of liquid medium used depends upon what the client is being treated for. Eyes are covered with cotton pads to prevent touch with oil. It is also followed by a head massage. This process is carried on for about 60-90 minutes. Not just as a treatment that prepares one for Panchakarma but also as a separate regime, Shirodhara is highly effective for the human soul and body.
Effects of Shirodhara:
- This Shirodhara treatment is said to have excellent healing effects on head, neck, ears, eyes, and throat related diseases and treats tiredness.
- It mesmerizes the person with its soothing effect.
- It is helpful to treat nervous disorders.
- For those with insomnia, the Shirodhara treatment can guarantee a lot better sleep pattern.
- It prevents premature graying of hair.
- This lessens the severity of shoulder and neck pains by relaxing them profoundly.
- Leaves the hair lustrous and strong.
- Shirodhara refreshes your mind, impacts you positively and prepares you to face life with an energetic outlook. It has aftermaths similar those of medications.
You could spare yourself some of your busy time to lie down for a mind-blowing and calming Shirodhara treatment!