In this modern day society, the major issue faced by almost everyone in this world apart from diabetes, heart attack, etc is nothing but hair loss. Hair loss can occur to both female and male at any age these days. The number of patients going to dermatologist to seek advice for hair loss and remedies for it is constantly increasing day by day. This scenario is caused mainly due to pollution. Pollution’s such as air pollution, water pollution, etc are the main reasons for too much of hair loss. Hair loss can also occur due to increase in the stress level of a person. When we look into the lives of IT professionals, it would be a miracle if they have a head full of hair still at the age of 50 as the amount of stress they have in that profession is tremendous. Unfortunately, for some people, hair loss is a heredity problem which can cause hair loss if either one of the parents have hair loss problems then their kids are prone to get the same hair loss issue no matter what precautions they take.
WHAT DOES HAIR SHAFT MEAN?
According to medical terms, hair shaft refers to the visible part of the hair that is projected above the surface of the skin of a person. The hair shafts are made up of water, keratin and a binding agent. Keratin is nothing but the transformation of dead cells. Hair shaft structure is the reason why we do not feel any pain at all when we cut our hair. Hair shaft is formed in three different layers.
LAYERS OF HAIR SHAFT
Hair shaft has three different layers which are:
- The medulla – The medulla is the deepest layer in the hair shaft which is only found in large and thick hairs and not in thin hairs.
- The cortex – The cortex is the middle layer in the hair shaft which is the essential part of the hair shaft that gives strength, colour and texture of the hair.
- The cuticle – The cuticle is the outer layer in the hair shaft which is thin and colourless which serves the main purpose to protect the cortex of the hair shaft.
DEFECTS OF HAIR SHAFT THAT CAUSES HAIR LOSS
Normally, hair loss occurs to the damage in hair fiber whereas, when it comes to defects of hair shaft, the formation of the hair fiber is improper due to the error of the hair follicles. Hence, the following are a few issues caused because of defective hair shafts, which are:
- Loose Anagen Syndrome – Loose Anagen Syndrome is the defect in which the grown hair is very loose and it can be easily plucked out while combing.
- Traction alopecia and Trichotillomania – Traction alopecia and Trichotillomania is the defect in which when thinning of hair occurs and when this type of hair is plucked out it creates clear bald regions on the head.
- Monilethrix – Monilethrix is the defect in which the hair fiber gets weakened.
- Cuticle Stripping – Cuticle stripping is a defect which is caused because of Overusage of heating tools on hair such as hair straightners, hair curlers, etc which is the root cause for the hair cuticle to get stripped.
- Trichorrhexis Nodosa – Trichorrhexis Nodosa is also commonly known as trichonodosis. Trichorrhexis Nodosa is a defect in which weakening of the hair fiber due to malnutrition.