CAUSES OF AN ITCHY FOREHEAD
An itchy forehead may be caused due to skin conditions such as eczema, dandruff, acne, contact dermatitis. It may be due to an allergic reaction, an infectious disease, an autoimmune deficiency, sunburns, stress or even pregnancy. The allergen present in cosmetic products may also trigger itching. Sometimes, an itchy forehead may be due to a serious skin or health condition such as neurodermatitis, psoriasis, fungal infection (ringworm), chicken pox, head lice, liver disease, scabies, shingles and urticaria. The common causes of an itchy forehead are enlisted below:
- Skin conditions – eczema, dandruff, acne
- Hair and skin care products
- Stress and anxiety
SYMPTOMS OF AN ITCHY FOREHEAD
The common symptoms of an itchy forehead are:
- Burning or stinging sensation
- Dry or flaking skin
- Inflamed skin
- Small blisters on the skin
- Reddish rings
In addition to this, if one experiences symptoms like stiffness in the neck, severe headache, choking sensation, sudden swelling of the face or pain in any part of the body, then they should see a doctor immediately as soon as possible.
There are a few remedies that can be tried at home to alleviate the symptoms of an itchy forehead.
REMEDIES AND TREATMENTS FOR AN ITCHY FOREHEAD
If the itching is not severe, one can opt to try these home remedies enlisted below:
• Wash with cold water – Rinse the forehead and scalp area with cold water to relieve the itching. Avoid using hard soaps or soaps with a lot of fragrance because it may irritate the skin further. It is advisable to use anti-bacterial soap for cleaning of the forehead and to get rid of an itchy forehead
• Lemon can be used to get rid of an itchy forehead. The citric and acetic acids present in lemon have antiseptic and anti-irritating properties.
• Avoid sharing personal items such as combs and hair brushes because they cause dandruff, head lice and other fungal infections to spread and may possibly trigger itching.
• Apply an effective sunscreen uniformly on all parts of the body that is exposed to the sunlight.
• Apple cider vinegar is also an effective remedy to get rid of an itchy forehead because it consists of antiseptic, anti-itching, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
• Aloevera gel can applied on the forehead to soothe burns and itchy skin.
• One should avoid using a head gear for a long period of time if they have an itchy forehead.
However, if one has a severe itchy forehead, it is best advised to seek a doctor’s help immediately to know the real cause of itching and begin treatment as soon as possible.