In this modern day society, one of the prominent issues faced by almost everyone in this world apart from diabetes, heart attack, etc is nothing but smelly hair. Smelly hair can be distinguished by the unpleasant odor coming from the hair and scalp. This is an embarrassing situation for anyone experiencing this. It can be caused by a condition called smelly hair syndrome. This is not usually due to poor hygiene. Oily hair is more susceptible to this condition because it picks up environmental pollutants and strong smells more easily. In addition to that, this smelly hair syndrome can also be attributed to other factors such as stress, hormonal imbalance, scalp psoriasis, bacterial and fungal infections. However, this can be managed with herbal treatment, using essential oils and natural home remedies.
HOME REMEDIES TO GET RID OF SMELLY HAIR
- LEMON JUICE
Lemon juice is great for your skin as well as your hair. It will result in a clean, fresh, shiny and smooth hair, fighting off any scalp infections and dandruff.
- Squeeze two lemons in a cup and dilute the juice by adding a cup of water. After shampooing, apply this mixture on your scalp and hair. Leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing it and it is advisable to try this once or twice a week.
- If one has a fungal infection, mix one cup of plain yogurt with one lemon juice and apply it on your hair. Leave it on for 30 minutes and rinse it off. This can be done once a week.
- Moreover, this juice can be combined with an essential oil such as lavender or rosemary and leave it overnight on your hair. This can be done twice or thrice a week.
- BAKING SODA
Baking soda is one of the frequently used home remedies for smelly scalp because it helps to lower oiliness and neutralize the bad odors.
- Mix baking soda and water in the ratio of 1:3.
- Wet your hair completely and apply this baking soda paste on wet hair.
- Leave it on for 5 minutes and wash your hair.
- This can be done once every week.
- APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
Apple cider vinegar is an effective natural hair clarifier and removes the buildup of products that contributes to oily and smelly hair. It ensures to bring back the normal pH of the hair and stop frizz.
- Mix half a cup of apple cider vinegar with 2 cups of distilled water. Then, add 3 drops of an essential oil such as rose or lavender. Spray through your hair and leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing it off with cold water.
- This should not be done more than twice a week.
Tomato juice helps to remove bad odors from the hair and the acidity in the tomatoes balances the pH level in your hair.
- Apply fresh tomato juice on your scalp.
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes before rinsing it.
- This can be done once or twice a week.
Smelly hair can be daunting for people of all age groups. These 4 natural home remedies will serve to get rid of smelly hair and give you the confidence in today’s modern world.