1. Old Monk is the largest selling dark rum in the world. Owned by Mohan Meakins Ltd., Old Monk has also been the biggest Indian Made Foreign Liquor (IMFL) brand for many years. Produced in Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, it is available in all parts of India and the world, including places like Russia, the USA, the UK, Japan, the UAE, Estonia, Finland, New Zealand and Canada. This cult dark rum has been awarded gold medals at the Monde World Selections since 1982.
2. The Taj Mahal is taller than the Qutub Minar! Because it’s a minaret, it is tougher to believe that it is taller than the Qutab Minar. The Taj Mahal stands at 243.5 ft. while the Qutab Minar is at 239 ft.
3. Calculus and Trigonometry came from India As much as the students hate it, India is responsible for it.
4. The world’s biggest school is City Montessori School, Lucknow. With a staggering 47,000 students accommodated in over 20 branches, City Montessori school in Lucknow is the world’s largest school. It has over 1,000 classrooms, 3,700 computers and a staff strength of 3800. That’s a LOT of kids, even if they’re spread over 20 branches.
5. USB was developed by an Indian-American computer architect Ajay V. Bhatt is the man behind USBs. You can also credit him for AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port), PCI Express, Platform Power management architecture and various other chip-set improvements.
6. India drinks about 50% of the world’s whiskey. According to Quartz.com, India is far and away the world’s biggest guzzler, owing in part to its large population. Roughly half of the world’s whiskey is drunk by the sub-continent. Most of it is made by UB India, the world’s largest whiskey company by volume.
7. Actor Benedict Cumberbatch volunteered as an English teacher at a Tibetan monastery in Darjeeling, India
The actor, famous for portraying the role of Sherlock, took a year gap to teach English in Darjeeling. Lucky students, we must say!
8. Indian Railways has more than 1.4 million employees That’s more than the population of Trinidad and Tobago, Estonia, Mauritius, Bahrain, Cyprus, Luxembourg, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco and Vatican City.
9. Actor Ben Kingsley’s birth name is Krishna Pandit Bhanji and he is of Indian descent.
In a career spanning over 40 years, he has won an Oscar, Grammy, BAFTA, two Golden Globes and Screen Actors Guild awards.
10. We played a major role in the invention and development of Plastic Surgery.
Sushruta, an ancient Indian surgeon, made important contributions to the field of plastic and cataract surgery in 6th century BC. The medical works of both, Sushruta and Charak originally in Sanskrit later spread. British physicians traveled to India to see rhinoplasties being performed by native methods.