Sampooran Singh Kalra, born 18 August 1934, known popularly by his pen name Gulzar, is an Indian poet, lyricist and film director. Born in Jhelum District of Pakistan his family moved to India after partition. He started his career with music director S.D. Burman as a lyricist. Gulzar also wrote poetry, dialogues and scripts. He was awarded Padma Bhushan, the third-highest civilian award in India, the Sahitya Akademi Award and the Dadasaheb Phalke Award — the highest award in Indian cinema. He has won several Indian National Film Awards, 20 Filmfare Awards, one Academy Award and one Grammy Award.
So today on his birthday here are few excerpts from his poetry and quotes:
- Kabhi zindagi ek pal mein guzar jati hai, kabhi zindagi ka ek pal nhi guzarta.
- Minnate karta hu nind ko aa jao nahi aati, fir unka aise hi na aana yaad aata h.
- Lakeeren Hain To Rehne Do,
Kisi Ne Rooth Kar Gusse Mein Shayad Kheench Di Thin,
Inhee Ko Ab Banao Pala Aur Aao Kabaddi Khelte Hain,
Lakeeren Hain To Rehne Do.
- Thoda sa rafoo krke dekhiye na, fir se nayi si lagegi, zindagi hi to hai
- Ik Baar To Yoon Hoga,
Thoda Sa Sukoon Hoga,
Na Dil Mein Kasak Hogi,
Na Sar Mein Junoon Hoga.
- Bohot mushkil se katra hu teri yaadon ka karobaar,
Munaafa kam hai par guzaara ho hi jaata hai.
- Adatan tum ne kar diye vaade, Adatan ham ne aitbaar kiya.
- Kisi ki yaadon se agar zindagi guzar jati, toh kabhi koi kisi se milne ki fariyaad na karta.
- Thoda hai, thode ki zarurat hai, zindagi fir bhi yahan khoobsurat hai.
- Main kis vatan ki talaash mein yun chala tha ghar se, Ki apne ghar mein bhi ajnabi ho gaya hun aa kar