‘I don’t like it’ a friend of mine said too eagerly when I asked him about Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Devdas. A bit of information here, he worships Shahrukh Khan. And my reaction was ‘whaaat?????????’ It is one of the SRK’s movies that I like, probably because it was the first movie that I watched in cinema hall. Atleast, as good as my memory serves me, I think it was. I would also like to mention that my sister used to tease me by saying “It’s your favourite movie” in my ‘romantic-movies-suck-phase’ and would not change the channel. She made me watch it a lot of times. Another one of the contributing factors to why I like it. ‘But why would you stick around to watch it when you didn’t like it?’ you would think; ‘because sibling rivalry’. She wanted to offend me and I didn’t want her to feel any such satisfaction. Well, Dear Sister, it’s rated 88% on Rotten Tomatoes and 7.6/10 on IMDb so it’s not that bad after all. Furthermore, India Today includes it in 20 best films of SRK.
Alright, now, What makes this movie click with the audience- Cinematography, Sets, Costumes, Music, Choreography? Personally, the poetic dialogues did it for me. These dialogues:
- Kaun kambakht bardaasht karne ko peeta hai, hum toh peete hai ki yahan par baith sake, tumhe dekh sake, tumhe bardaasht kar sake.
- Babuji ne kaha gaon chhod do, sab ne kaha Paro ko chhod do, Paro ne kaha sharab chhod do, aaj tumne keh diya haweli chhod do, ek din aayega jab woh kahega, duniya hi chhod do.
- Har dukh aane waale sukh ki chitthi hoti hai… aur har nuksaan hone waale fayde ka ishara.
- Pyaar ka karobaar toh bahut baar kiya hai, magar pyar sirf ek baar.
- Ek baat hoti thi tab tum bahut yaad aati thi … (kab) … jab jab main saans leta tha tab tab.
- Apne hisse ki zindagi toh hum jee chuke Chunni babu, ab toh bus dhadkano ka lihaaz karte hai… kya kahen yeh duniya waalo ko joh, aakhri saans par bhi aitraaz karte hai.
- Kitni aasani se ginvah diya ki tumhe har pal meri yaad aati thi … lekin yeh nahi socha ki un palon mein beetta toh main hi tha … diya tum jalati thi … par jalta toh main hi tha.
- Itna guroor toh chaand ko bhi nahi hai .
- D se dil bhi hota hai D se dard bhi in dono ka rishta bahut gehraa hota hai bondhu.
- Yun nazar ki baat ki aur dil chura gaye… hum toh samjhe they but, aap toh dhadkan suna gaye.
- Tawaifon ki toh taqdeer hi nahi hoti.
- Dil ke chaalon ko agar koi shayari kahe to parwah nahin, takleef to tab hoti hai jab koi waah waah waah karta hai.
- Aurat maa hoti hai, behen hoti hai, patni hoti hai, dost hoti hai… aur jab woh kuch nahi hoti, toh tawaif hoti hai.
- Aayi to thi tujhe duyaein dene ki tere ghar chand sa beta ho, par ab to yahi dua nikalti hai ki tera ghar bhi chandani se aabad ho, tere ghar bhi beti ho.
This Classic movie recently completed 15 years of its release. And this romantic drama has certainly not let bollywood down.