The Olive leaf was initially medicinally used in Ancient Egypt. Olive leaf extract is a supplement from the leaves of olive fruit bearing plant. It is bitter when tasted and is green in color. Olive leaves have been commonly used as an extract in the human diet in the form of an herbal tea and powder. Research has proven that olive leaf has powerful medicinal properties. Its health benefits consist of cardiovascular and immune system support, a boost in energy and maintaining healthy blood pressure. Olive leaf is also used to stabilize blood sugar and control diabetes. The numerous health benefits of olive leaf extract and its usage are illustrated below.
8 HEALTH BENEFITS OF OLIVE LEAF EXTRACT AND ITS USAGE
- REDUCE BLOOD PRESSURE AND HYPERTENSION – Olive leaves reduces the elevated blood pressure by reducing the production of LDL cholesterol, thereby enhancing the blood flow to the blood vessels in the heart. Olive leaf extract alleviates the tension and broadens the blood vessel which reduces both systolic and diastolic blood pressure.
- STRENGTHEN THE HEART – Olive leaf extract can strengthen your heart partly by regulating the blood pressure. Olive leaf extract plays a major role in preventing atherosclerosis. The arterial wall is vital for maintaining normal blood flow and pressure. In atherosclerosis, plaque accumulates on the wall and causes it to harden the arteries, thereby obstructing blood flow. This is a common cause of heart attack and stroke. Olive leaves can prevent and cure this in numerous ways such as:
- The polyphenols in olive leaf extract enhances the production of nitric oxide and relaxes the blood vessels.
- The antioxidants reduce oxidation by recovering free radicals which prevents atherosclerosis at the initial stage.
- It curbs fatty acid deposits on the arterial wall by inhibiting inflammation.
- CONTROL DIABETES – Olive leaf extract reduces the absorption of sugars from the intestine and increases the glucose intake by tissues. The polyphenols in olive leaf extract enhance insulin sensitivity especially in overweight persons, making the body more responsive to foods and medicines for diabetes. Advanced glycation end products play a major role in diabetes. Olive leaves are a natural source of advanced glycation inhibitors which aids in preventing diabetes.
- FIGHT CANCER – Olive leaf extract is useful in fighting cancer in numerous ways namely:
- Anti-oxidative effect – The antioxidants prevent any damage to the DNA which prevents the formation of malignant cells.
- Antiproliferative effect – The polyphenol oleuropein inhibits the cancerous cells from replicating, moving and spreading to other organs.
- Anti-angiogenic and anti-tumor effects – The same polyphenol also prevents the growth of new blood cells and cancerous cells, thus suppressing the growth of tumors.
- Anti-inflammatory effect – Olive leaf extracts also curbs inflammation, which promotes tumor growth.
- Prevent Cognitive Degenerative Disorders – Olive leaf help fight aging in numerous ways. They lower the severity of neurological diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
- Treat Arthritis – Oleuropein in olive leaf extract lowers chronic inflammation and heals damaged tissues.
- Strengthen Immune System – The anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-microbial activities in olive leaf extract fights against viruses that cause infections like influenza.
- Invigorate the skin – Olive leaf extract have been used in skincare products to treat skin damage caused by UV rays. Oleuropein in olive leaf extract also has an anti-aging effect.