Thinking to keep a pet dog. Here is a list of dogs which are suitable to be kept in tropical climate of India:
1. Labrador – Labrador has a soft, silky undercoat that keeps it warm and dry in cold weather and an outer coat that is hard that helps in repelling water. It can be found in black, dark brown, light brown, golden, beige and cream color.
2. Dachshund – Dachshund has three varieties- the Shorthaired, the wire-haired and the long-haired. It’s found in red, black, brown, chocolate and tan colors and lives up to 12-15 years. It is ideal for smaller homes because of its tiny size.
3. Doberman – They have a slender and sleek body shape and weigh around 35-40 kgs. They are very intelligent and easy to train. They are low maintenance dogs as far as their grooming is concerned.
4. Pomeranian – Pomeranian dogs are a toy breed of the Spitz classification and the direct descendants of the German Spitz type. During shedding season they shed a lot of hair. Very playful and enthusiastic, especially in the company of children. Because of their active nature, they are very good watch dogs. They are low maintenance dogs.
5. Pug – They are one of the endangered dog breeds and relatively rare in India, but still a favorite with a lot of dog lovers. Hot and humid weather can give them heatstroke as they have a short muzzle. So care should be taken to keep them cool during summers.
6. Pariah – Indian Pariah dogs are the one among healthiest dogs in the world and in India they are available easily and freely. This breed is the progenitor of the Australian dingo. They are extremely alert, very social dog. They thrive with minimal maintenance in tropical weather.
7. Dalmatian – The Dalmatian dogs were originated from Dalmatia. Dalmatians are healthy and athletic dogs from working category and also make a good watchdog. Dalmatian dogs are a healthy dog, which is also suitable to survive in warm weather, but not recommended for extreme cold weather.
8. German Shepherd – German Shepherds are probably the most easily found in India. They are excellent Guard Dogs and a great asset to the police and military for their strong loyalty to their master, curiosity and a general distrust towards strangers.