Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal disorder usual among women of reproductive age. Women with PCOS have irregular periods or excess male hormone (androgen) levels or polycystic ovaries. Polycystic ovaries refer to the case of ovaries developing several small collections of fluid follicles and failing to release eggs regularly. The exact causes of PCOS have not been found yet. However, factors such as excess insulin, low grade inflammation, heredity and excess androgen play a role in this. Complications of PCOS are namely infertility, gestational diabetes, miscarriage, premature birth, metabolic syndrome, nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, depression, anxiety, eating disorders, abnormal uterine bleeding and cancer of the uterine lining.
13 NATURAL REMEDIES FOR PCOS
- IF YOU ARE OVERWEIGHT, LOSE WEIGHT – If one loses at least 10 percent of their body weight, one’s blood glucose levels will drop, insulin sensitivity will be improved, restoring normal hormonal balance, menstruation cycles will be regularized and increase chance of conception.
- REDUCE THE CONSUMPTION OF CARBOHYDRATES – Refined carbohydrates like bread, noodles and white rice should be avoided. One can consume snacks with good fats like sunflower seeds. Intake on good fats should be increased while reducing the intake of carbohydrates, processed or refined carbohydrates.
- EAT ANTI-INFLAMMATORY FOODS – This ensures weight loss, improves blood pressure and cholesterol problems. Therefore, one should add anti-inflammatory foods such as turmeric, ginger, pomegranate juice, extra virgin olive oil, onions, vegetables, green leafy vegetables and sweet potatoes in their diet.
- HAVE FENUGREEK SEEDS TO TACKLE IRREGULAR PERIODS AND INSULIN RESISTANCE – This treatment for 8 weeks significantly helped to reduce the production of polycystic ovaries and helped to regularize the menstruation cycles.
- TAKE CUMIN TO STABILIZE HORMONES AND REGULATE BLOOD SUGAR – Cumin is antidiabetic, aids in the reduction of blood sugar levels and helps to lower cholesterol.
- HAVE FLAXSEEDS TO NORMALIZE HORMONE LEVELS – Flaxseeds aid by reducing levels of male sex hormones or androgens in your body.
- TAKE CINNAMON TO IMPROVE INSULIN SENSITIVITY AND REGULARIZE PERIODS – Cinnamon is anti-inflammatory and helps to moderate your blood sugar levels and reduce insulin resistance.
- HAVE HOLY BASIL TO BALANCE ANDROGEN AND GLUCOSE LEVELS – It is recommended to chew on holy basil leaves on an empty stomach every morning or drink basil leaves infused water by boiling the leaves in a cup of water. These leaves have anti-androgenic properties that lower testosterone levels and lowers glucose levels in the blood.
- TAKE ASHWAGANDHA TO MANAGE STRESS AND IMPROVE INSULIN SENSITIVITY – Herbal remedies like ashwagandha, can help your body to manage stress better.
- TRY INDIAN GOOSEBERRY TO BALANCE HORMONES AND CHOLESTEROL LEVELS – It is advisable to consume about half a cup of amla or Indian gooseberry juice diluted with water every day.
- SIP ON GREEN TEA TO REDUCE FREE TESTOSTERONE AND INSULIN LEVELS
- SLEEP MORE TO LOWER INFERTILITY AND DIABETES RISK – One should sleep for at least 7 to 8 hours every night.
- EXPLORE ACUPUNCTURE TO REDUCE CYSTS AND IMPROVE INSULIN SENSITIVITY