Research has shown that there are numerous health benefits of bay leaves that keep diseases at bay. Bay leaf has been found to lower blood sugar levels and prevent type 2 diabetes. It is effective in improving hair growth, alleviating dandruff and curing an itchy scalp.
The health benefits of bay leaves are illustrated below:
- REGULATES DIABETES – People who had bay leaves twice a day have seen a reduction in their blood sugar level. Bay leaves are useful to people who are prone to type 2 diabetes.
- PROMOTES HEART HEALTH – The compounds in bay leaf have been proven to toughen the walls of your heart and decrease cholesterol levels. High cholesterol levels can result in an accumulation of plaque and cause a heart attack or stroke.
- AIDS DIGESTION – The diuretic property present in bay leaves helps to remove excess toxin from the body and aids in stimulating digestive juices. The enzymes present in bay leaf break down food more efficiently and it helps those with an irritable bowel syndrome or any other digestive problems. It is also known to alleviate the symptoms of celiac disease.
- RELIEVES PAIN – The anti-inflammatory properties in bay leaves aids people suffering from sprain, joint pain or even arthritis. One can apply the paste of ground bay leaves and castor leaves on the afflicted areas of pain and leave it on for 20 minutes before washing it off. This reduces the pain to a great extent. Moreover, headaches can be treated by massaging bay leaf oil on your forehead.
- BOOSTS ANTI- CANCER EFFECTS – Since bay leaf contains phytonutrients and catechins, compounds that curb cancer cells, research studies have shown that bay leaf aids in destroying cancer cells. A recent study shows that bay leaf extract helped to eliminate breast cancer cells.
- SPEEDS UP WOUND HEALING – Bay leaf paste can be used to treat wounds and scars due to its anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties. Moreover, it is also used to treat fungal infections like candida.
- SOOTHES AN IRRITATED THROAT AND REDUCES COUGH – Bay leaf aids in unclogging blocked air passages and destroys bacteria, thereby curing cold cough. Boil 4-5 bay leaves in water. Once it cools slightly, soak a washcloth in that water and apply it on your chest. This natural remedy is effective in soothing an irritated throat and reduces cough.
- TREATS KIDNEY STONES – Urease leads to the development of kidney stones and other gastric problems. Research has shown that bay leaf lowers the level of urease in your body.
- FIGHTS ANXIETY AND STRESS – It is advised to have a cup of bay leaf tea before sleeping because it calms your nerves, prevent anxiety and induce sleep.
- IMPROVES HAIR GROWTH AND DANDRUFF – Boil a few bay leaves in water. After it cools down slightly, rinse your hair and scalp with this water. Grind bay leaves and mix it with coconut oil. Apply this on your scalp and leave it on for 30 minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water.